Saturday, July 5, 2014

Why I Miss Traditional Animated Movies

When I was seven I had the privilege of going to the premiere of Toy Story at the El Capitan with my mom and brother. It was a very exciting event for me, because it was the first time that I had ever seen an animated movie made entirely from computers. It wasn't just me that was experiencing computer animation for the very first time, but the entire world. The release of Toy Story in November 1995 was no doubt the biggest event in animation history since the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. Not only did Pixar's first feature film beat Batman Forever to become the highest grossing movie of 1995 in the U.S. and Canada, but it was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. 

But now, the fascination I had with computer animation when I was seven has long since gone, because nowadays every animated movie is made entirely from computers. 

This is because in the early 2000s, 2D animated flops such as Titan A.E., Treasure Planet, and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas convinced studios that traditional animation was a guarantee of financial ruin, while at the same time the success of Pixar and DreamWorks Animation's Shrek franchise convinced the studios that CGI was a guarantee of financial success. Animators with only 2D experience were laid off, while animators with CGI experience were in demand. 

However, DreamWorks Animations recent Box-Office misfires Rise of the Guardians, Turbo, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman as well as the Disney flop Mars Needs Moms shows that CGI is no longer a guarantee of an animated film being financially successful. 

I hope that Disney and DreamWorks will someday realize this and release a 2D animated movie every once in a while, because I'm sick and tired of seeing commercials for computer animated movies all the time. I miss living in the era of the Disney Renaissance, when the Mouse House released 2D animated fare such as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Not only do I consider these movies entertaining masterpieces, but also beautiful works of art. There is just something about 2D animation that makes it so beautiful to look at, while CGI animation to me seems too dull and too real. 

After being hired as Walt Disney Animations Chief Creative Officer in 2006, Pixar Guru John Lasseter convinced the Mouse House to produce The Princess and the Frog in 2D rather than 3D animation. Despite being a critical success and grossing $267 million worldwide, Disney has refused to release another 2D animated movie since. But I'm hoping that someday Disney, DreamWorks, or any other animation studio will take a chance on 2D animation once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment